FROZEN PIPE REPAIR IN MINNEAPOLIS – ST. PAUL
Frigid Minnesota winters combined with poor insulation may freeze or burst your pipes and drains. The problems only get worse when they melt on their own and flood your home. Frozen pipes occur in homes of all ages, although older homes are especially susceptible to these problems. No surprise, our Minnesota company and our legendary plumber, Paul Bunyan have a lot of experience with frozen pipes.
Paul Bunyan’s Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes and Breakage
- Inspect your pipes and insulation every fall
- Turn off the water to your outdoor faucets in the fall and turn the faucet to an open position
- Have your primary water line inspected to find small problems
- Keep your thermostat at a relatively constant temperature
- During very cold weather (below -10 Fahrenheit) make sure there is good airflow around plumbing fixtures on outside walls, such as kitchen and bathroom sinks by leaving cabinet doors open.
What to Do If Your Pipes Burst
- Shut off the main water valve. It will be on an outside wall. Turn it all the way in the direction it most easily goes.
- Clear the area near the leak or burst pipe.
- Safely unplug and remove any electronic devices or appliances in the vicinity. This may require you to turn off the power to that section of your home, first.
“Serving all of Minneapolis & St. Paul Area.
Frozen Pipe repair is what we do! Call Us Today!”
Paul Bunyan’s DIY Tips for Frozen Pipe Repair
- Even though you only see the pipes located inside your home, they actually travel inside your walls and under your flooring, sometimes exposing them to colder temperatures. If these areas of your pipes reach freezing temperatures, any water inside can become ice, leading to backups, broken pipes, flooding, and more.
- If you can identify where an icy clog is occurring, try dipping a towel in hot water and then wrapping the towel around the area of the clog. This will help to spot-thaw the pipe without causing damage.
- Use a hairdryer on a medium setting and apply heat near the affected pipe. This method may take a while to be effective depending on the severity of the freezing.
- In extreme cases, you can use a portable blowtorch for solidly frozen metal pipes. Always use caution when using this method and remember to keep the flame a few inches away from the pipe at all times to avoid damaging the pipe.
- If you feel uncomfortable performing any of the above pipe thawing techniques, don’t hesitate to contact a professional plumber who has the experience and tools necessary to thaw your pipes in no time.
PIPE THAWING SERVICES IN MINNEAPOLIS – ST. PAUL
Paul Bunyan Plumbers hope you never need to call us for burst pipes or frozen pipe repair, but if you do, rest assured that we’re always here for you with around the clock service. That’s right – Paul Bunyan doesn’t need sleep! Our plumbers are equipped with the knowledge and advanced tools necessary to handle any plumbing emergency. Don’t let a winter plumbing problem get you down, rely on Paul Bunyan Plumbing & Drains to keep you safe.