UV Lights For HVAC
UV lights are ideal for eliminating the mold and bacteria that live and multiply in every home’s HVAC system and ductwork. No matter how much dusting and cleaning you do, dust still builds up inside HVAC ductwork, and when moisture is added, there is bound to be mold, mildew, and bacteria present. UV light adds another layer of cleaning that will help deliver more pure air throughout your home. And it is especially beneficial for those with asthma, COPD, breathing issues, or a weakened immune system. UV lights are a practical, effective solution to increase sanitation, fresher air, and reduce odors in your home. And the best part of this system is that there is nothing you need to do but call 952-208-4570 to speak to the pros at Blue Ox Heating And Air about the professional installation of this innovative and dependable addition to your HVAC system.
UV light has been known to kill mold, bacteria, and viruses for over a century. In 1903, the Noble Prize in Medicine was awarded to Niels Finsen for his use of UV light to treat patients suffering from skin infections. In more modern times, Duke University Medical Center determined in 2012 that UV light kills 97% of bacteria resistant to antibiotics. And in 2001, the Journal of Applied and Environmental Biology reported that germicidal UV radiation effectively reduces airborne fungi in air handling equipment.
The Science Behind UV Light
The UV lights that Blue Ox Heating And Air install in HVAC systems use a specific light wavelength, 254 nanometers, to control the microorganisms in your ductwork and the air circulating in your home. This particular wavelength is absorbed into the DNA of microorganisms and renders them unable to produce proteins. So soon, the contaminants die due to a lack of essential protein. But in the meantime, they are no longer able to multiply. So with constant use of UV lights, your HVAC system can become and remain nearly contaminate-free.
I Have UV Lights But Still Suffer From Allergy Symptoms
Many customers assume that as soon as the UV light system is installed, they will find their dust and other allergy symptoms quickly subsiding. However, there are two things they need to remember. First, the lights take time to kill all of the bacteria and organisms causing the allergy symptoms. And second, the light kills the microorganisms, but you are still left with dust and dead fungi in the ductwork. So the second step in eliminating your allergy issues is a professional duct cleaning from the pros at Blue Ox Heating And Air.
Once the reminisce of the allergens are removed, you will find relief from allergy symptoms. The perfect combination for long-term allergy relief is a UV light installation and regular duct cleaning from Blue Oz Heating And Cooling. Call 952-208-4570 today to learn more about using a combination of UV lighting and duct cleaning to manage your allergy symptoms successfully.
My House Is Airtight, Do I Still Need UV Lights?
With the desire to build more energy-efficient homes, builders are focused on eliminating all the tiny leaks and air gaps in newer homes. So many homeowners want to know why they need a system to eliminate dust and other microorganisms from their homes. The common thought would be that the contamination cannot enter the new air-tight houses. However, these better-sealed homes create a new challenge for air handling systems. These well-sealed homes and specifically ductwork create moisture issues that do not exist in systems with air gaps. The condensation inside a well-sealed duct system is the perfect breeding ground for the contaminants that will set off allergies and make you miserable. The solution is to clean the air in the ducts with UV light and then regularly remove the remaining debris with professional duct cleaning services by the pros at Blue OX Heating And Air.
UV Lighting Solutions For Your HVAC System
Two types of UV lighting can be installed on your HVAC system. Working in tandem, they will clean both the HVAC equipment and the ductwork in your home.
- Coil Sanitizing Lights- If you have central air in your home, you also have an indoor coil that condenses moisture to dehumidify the air. Because this surface is moist, any dirt, pet dander, or other debris in the air sticks to the coil. And this dirt and moisture create the ideal breeding ground for mold and bacteria growth. A single or double lamp system is installed to continuously shine on the coil to sanitize the surface.
- Air Sanitizing Lights- These germicidal lights are installed in your home’s ductwork to sanitize the air where the return air is pulled into the system. The stick or U-shaped lights kill the germs and mold before it enters the HVAC equipment and is circulated through your home.
Like most products for your home, there are many choices when it comes to selecting UV lights. A single fixture can range from around $60 to over $400, depending on the size, brand, and function. And lamps range from $10 to well over $100. Once installed, which is also an additional fee, you can budget from $25 to $75 a year to cover operating costs.
Some models lend themselves to DIY installation. These lights have a standard 110v plug and require around a mid-level skill set for the installation. But for the best results and a reliable warranty, professional installation by the team from Blue Ox Heating And Air is recommended. Many of the units we install include a lifetime warranty on the fixture and a two-year warranty on the bulbs.
Call 952-208-4570 to schedule an appointment with one of our experts to learn more about the benefits of UV lighting installation for your HVAC system. We offer many options to provide disinfectant level cleaning inside your HVAC ducts and a professional cleaning to remove the allergen-causing remains. This two-step approach is the most beneficial process for our clients concerned about eliminating hazards in the air and reducing potential allergy symptoms.